Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Fridge Meme Explained

Heather over at Not A DIY Life tagged me for the fridge meme recently. Any normal person would use this as an opportunity to post a picture of their refrigerator for Wordless Wednesday and be done with it, but you know I can’t resist the temptation to speak.

I suppose your home says a lot about who you are, so I feel a need to explain the current condition of our kitchen. When we bought our house, it had been vacant for over 6 years following the death of the owner’s mother. Evidently, the house had not been painted or the carpet replaced since the house was built in 1956. Luckily for me, I married Bob Vila and he promptly fell in love with this fixer-upper.

Since we moved in, we have painted every wall and ceiling in the house and removed all of the carpeting to reveal beautiful hardwood flooring. We finished the second floor of our bungalow to add two bedrooms on the upper level. I strongly recommend a 16-month DIY home renovation project to any couple that is eager to test the endurance of their love.

The kitchen is somewhere on our remodeling list, right after we do something with the green and pink tiled bathroom with pink fixtures, which is somewhere on the list after adding a family room, laundry room, home office, and second bath in the basement.

I’m not really in a rush to remodel the kitchen because it has character reminiscient of the Leave It To Beaver Days. I am absolutely in love with our 1951 Magic Chef gas stove, which appears in photos right next to our fridge. The stove came with the house and it works perfectly. We’ve considered selling it on Ebay or Craigslist as an antique and using the money to buy a new stove and fridge, but the old stove won’t fit through any of the doors in our house. Was the house built around it?

I seem to be on a tangent. Wasn’t this post supposed to be about my refrigerator?

Anyway, the fridge is just your basic, white refrigerator. It is covered with family photos, magnets, memorable quotes clipped from magazines, kid craft projects, our monthly dinner menu, expired coupons, and a marker board that we try to use for messages but ultimately just becomes a place for adolescent graffiti.

You may notice that all the papers and magnets are strategically placed far above Baby’s reach. This is a new improvement made after we realized that Baby liked to pull papers off the fridge and push them around on the kitchen floor. Who needs toys?

You may also notice my treasured Winnie the Pooh cookie jar that sits atop the freezer. My Dad gave this to me as a birthday gift one year because Pooh was my favorite childhood friend. Pooh used to sit on a low shelf near the sink, but Pooh has a porcelain butterfly sitting on his foot and that beautiful butterfly has wings on springs. How tempting is that? Pooh had to move.

So, there you have it. Another rambling post filled with more than you ever cared to know about me!

You can thank Heather for your suffering.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You do such an awesome job on memes!!! I love the Pooh cookie jar, and the Magic Chef range. I wonder if it came unassembled and that's why it didn't haven to fit thru any doors? Hmmm....

Anyway, you're awesome! I'm so glad you love to play along!

Smarty Pants Mama said...

When I saw the picture in your Wordless Wednesday the Magic Chef oven was the 1st thing I noticed! How cool!
Smiles,
Caroline
SmartyPantsMama.blogspot.com

Eric said...

this one looks fun... lol