Thursday, August 14, 2008

Back to School

I suppose it’s already been a couple of weeks since my Summer semester course ended, although I feel like I just blinked and Fall semester is staring me in the face already.

I was really hoping beyond hope to take an English Composition course because I absolutely love to write really long, rambling, incoherent term papers, but the course is completely full. Honestly, I do love to write, even if I’m not really talented. I thought this course would be a breathe of fresh air and I might actually learn something that is relevant in real life. Wouldn’t that be refreshing?

Unfortunately for me, I haven’t checked my student email account in ages, so I have about 349 unread messages. One of those messages must have been the announcement about early pre-enrollment, which allows folks to hold space in classes that they have no intention of registering for. By the time I realized that I needed to register, the English classes were full. So were the history, math, and science classes that I need but am avoiding.

I started to panic when the only class available was Listening to Music 101 because I have absolutely no musical talent and no appreciation for fine art. We recently received free tickets to the Cleveland Orchestra and Hubby actually wanted to go to the concert, which I am convinced was a form of punishment for something I did.

God must have heard my whimpering, because a seat opened up in the history class this morning. Although it’s not the English class I was lusting for, the History of Modern Civilization does sound fairly interesting. The added benefit is that Hubby and Skywalker are history buffs, so our dinner conversations might include a question from me on the Industrial Revolution and lots of note-taking while they ramble on about something that I really should have read in my textbook but didn’t.

Sometimes, it’s a good idea to surround yourself with pretty nerds.

1 comment:

PBandJ said...

I miss going to school; if I could I would just go for fun and I would love to learn Latin! Have fun learning (remember it is for a good cause when you are writing papers and taking exams!)