Monday, August 11, 2008

Home Improvement

I have again abandoned my blog in pursuit of work-life-church-chore balance, but I’m nowhere close to balancing anything. We are remodeling our bathroom, replacing the roof and replacing the driveway this month. I thought this would be so easy since we’re hiring contractors to do most of it, but I was wrong!

Once upon a time, hubby and I would do all of our home improvements ourselves to save money. Our house was a two bedroom bungalow when we bought it five years ago and we have added two bedrooms since then. That project only took sixteen months of our lives, but we saved tons of money. Now, Little King David prevents us from committing so much time and effort into home repairs. I have to admit I don’t miss it.

Although I’m sure we are saving tons of time by hiring contractors, this is still more work than I thought. It took months to schedule contractors to visit for quotes and apply for a home equity loan. Then, we decided to demolish the bathroom and buy our own supplies to save some money. That was a fabulous idea until we started ripping up the concrete floor in our only bathroom over the weekend.

We are sore, bruised and bleeding and we only have the floor half done. We have until Thursday morning to get this done because the contractor is coming to start the tile work that day. The bathroom is conveniently located right next to David’s bedroom, so we can’t do any work during naptime or after 9:00pm each night. We also can’t do any work without David’s constant supervision because he is dying to know what all that noise is in there!

This too shall pass…

1 comment:

PBandJ said...

I feel your pain! We have just finished the kitchen and are about to start our bathrooms (the floors are going to fall in soon), and if we could afford any hired help at all I would do it in a heart beat! Good luck!