Friday, May 16, 2008

Squeezing Into Gym Clothes

You may recall that I was really excited about the prospect of meeting with a personal trainer last week to begin my makeover journey. Why wouldn’t I be excited to squeeze my rolls into some gym clothes and sweat on camera in front of only-heaven-knows how many strangers? Even worse, only-heaven-knows how many friends, co-workers, family members, and eternal foes that might be tuning in for their own amusement. Wouldn’t you be excited?

Much to my relief, the personal trainer rescheduled at the last minute so she could attend her son’s college graduation ceremony instead.

Just more proof that God loves me.

Never fear, I will be meeting with the personal trainer this week and with the dermatologist for a consultation prior to my appointment for laser skin treatments. I don’t exactly know what they can fix with a laser, but I hope they are darn good at it. My skin needs quite a bit of help and just the thought of anyone coming anywhere near my face with a laser beam is a little unsettling to me. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Although I didn’t meet the personal trainer last week, I did begin my makeover journey by receiving a beauty consultation and posing for “before” photos. Any other day, the entire process would have been mortifying. I would never tell anyone every little detail about myself that is annoying and ugly and then let them photograph those ugly little details, but it was comforting to know that I will be able to look back at those photos a month from now and think, “we’ve come a long way, baby!”

I was also pleased to learn that the makeover package includes a spiritual-makeover program. The 21-day program focuses on learning to love yourself as one of God’s creations. A woman that does not love herself and value herself will not make it a priority to take care of her body. I do believe that I have a responsibility to take care of this healthy body that I have been blessed with and I’m excited about this aspect of the makeover program.

If you’d like to learn more about the spiritual makeover, you can visit the Renewing You website.

After you visit the website, say a little prayer for me that my personal training session won’t be a prime example of what happens when you don’t exercise at all after high school graduation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All I can say about the laser treatments (not from my own experience) is do what the dr tells you to help recovery. Most of the procedures are painful but have great results. Just don't go overboard, please!!!

As a beauty consultant, I know there are great products to help you after the treatments to maintain the results. Laser treatments are quick fixes but maintenance products are needed (or I'm sure the dr will suggest additional treatments!).

Love the idea of a spiritual makeover too. Women give so much of themselves to their families and forget to nurture their own souls!